Short Film Critical Reflection

  •  How do your products represent social groups or issues?
This short film represents the issue of addiction which affects many people in society. The main character in my short film suffers from addiction. As the film progresses it becomes more evident to the viewer how the main character's addiction plagues his day-to-day life. He is shown in distress which my film tries to make viewers infer is due to his addiction. In the plot of my short film, the main character wants to find his brother who has been kidnapped for a ransom and blames himself for being useless because he got himself addicted. Just like the main character in my short film, many people in society abuse substances like alcohol, pills and other drugs. Addiction creates issues for people in society as their health can deteriorate and their relations can be damaged. The main character in this short film is seen having some trouble moving around which can be related to his problems with addiction. He is also displayed as having a troubled relationship with his brother who was kidnapped. These characteristics emphasize the role addiction has in the main character's life. The main character also deals with other issues in society like depression. Once he discovers the ransom note he has received for his brother, the main character is tormented by the idea that it’s his fault. Viewers can see the main character act once he decides to stop limiting himself with substances like pills. The main character is affected by these issues as well as many people in society. 

  • How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of ‘branding’?
There are several elements in my short film that come together to create a sense of branding. For example, my short film group worked together on several social media platforms to increase the branding for the short film. My short film has pages on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. These platforms are each very popular. For example, Instagram as a platform appeals to a lot of younger people, reaching a large audience. While Facebook appeals to many older people. With this in mind, it's easy to see that the branding for my short film appeals to a wide range of audiences. Due to this multiple audiences will be reached through social media alone. My short film has an independent website with dates, times, and information posted on it. I have also created a postcard for my short film. This postcard draws potential viewers to it by showing information about the short film as well as some pictures to give audiences a feel for what my short film is about. These factors support the branding of my short film greatly. Through these outlets I’m able to give potential viewers a better understanding of what my movie is about and what it stands for. On top of that, my website links all these aspects together in one location. This makes it easier for viewers to find out more about the short film and its production. With all of this together, I’m able to create a sense of branding for my short film. 

  • How do your products engage with the audience?
My short film engages with the audience in several ways. The audience is engaged with my product when they are watching the short film. Due to this the audience can experience the story my group made for them to see. Moreover, the audience is also able to engage with my product through social media. Not only can the audience find out more information about the actors and my group members, but they can see interesting facts about the short film. The audience is also engaged through different social media platforms and a streaming site. It is because of this that if some people don’t want to access my short films content through one area, they are able to use a different one. For example, if one person doesn’t like Twitter they can engage with my content through Facebook. These social media platforms can be reached on the go through smart phones, tablets, and laptops. They can also be accessed at home on a computer. If the audience wants to find all the platforms at once they can use my website. Through my website people can find each social media platform and lots of information about my short film. Also, they can find extra videos and a postcard for my short film. With access to these things the audience can engage with my product in a way that they wouldn’t be able to without each platform. Through each of these sources my product can engage with the audience. Due to there being several different sources my product is also able to engage with other audiences that wouldn’t have been available before. 

  • How did your research inform your products and the way they use or challenge conventions?
When it was time to research information for my product, my group members and I worked together to gather the information that was needed. To do this my group watched different movies that fall into the drama and mystery genres. In doing this I was able to identify characteristics of the films that were special to the genre. For example, in the mystery genre there are often more realistic situations going on in the film, whereas in a sci-fi film there are usually many fictional aspects such as spaceships or superpowers. Furthermore, when it came to dramas, my group wanted to incorporate aspects like emotion and reactions. Besides this, the creation of my website and social media platforms was researched through video sites like YouTube that provide helpful videos on how to set up such things. However, in relation to conventions, my short film follows them very closely. The drama aspects of my short film are evident through the lighting, acting, and dialogue of the characters. There is a main room in my short film that represents how the character lives. The room is somewhat dark and very messy. This shows how the main character feels his emotions. He is struggling with addiction and as a result he feels depressed. When the main character is faced with an awful situation, he reacts very emotionally. The mystery aspects are also very evident in my short film. Viewers see the main character searching for clues after receiving a ransom note. It is through these aspects that my short film uses conventions. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Editing Blog 2

Intro